Area Commander/Manager – Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service
An exciting opportunity has come available for an Area Commander/Manager to join Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue (CFRS).
Salary: base salary £69283.00 per annum plus:
- A Pensionable Flexible Duty supplement of 20% of basic salary.
- Area Commanders’ Rota supplement- 9%
- Performance related supplement.
- A non-pensionable performance related supplement of up to 4% of total pay (including flexible duty supplement, weekend resilience supplement and additional hours supplement) may be awarded
Contract type: Substantive
Closing date for applications: 1st March 2024
CFRS is a modern, progressive service that provides exceptional service to the population of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
We operate from 27 fire stations across Cambridgeshire and Peterborough. We have four wholetime stations, three day crewed and the remainder are on-call stations, one of which is a voluntary fire station. Strategic leadership team, professional support groups and our Combined Fire Control are all based at our Service Headquarters in Huntingdon.
CFRS is made up of more than 600 dedicated, talented people who all play a role in reducing risk and saving lives and are united in our vision of safe communities where there is no preventable deaths or injuries from fire or other emergencies.
We are willing to do things differently and constantly seek to improve. His Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabularies and Fire and Rescue Services inspected us in Spring 2023 and our report was published in August 2023.
There are 11 areas in which we were inspected on. We scored one area of Outstanding, six Goods, three Adequates and one Requires Improvement.
We are very proud to have been recognised as an organisation that is seen as outstanding for the use of our resources.
In addition, innovative and promising practice was also identified with our sustainability strategy, involvement of external assessors in recruitment of wholetime firefighters, our fitness equipment for firefighters and menopause and maternity provisions. We were also highlighted for being a neurodiversity friendly employer and having a ‘positive working culture where staff feel valued and listened to’. View the report here: Our Inspection Report (cambsfire.gov.uk)
About the Role
As part of our leadership team, you will play a vital role in helping to develop and translate the Service’s strategic direction into efficient, effective actions that produce clear and measurable outcomes.
You will be responsible for advancing and supporting the Service to deliver our vision of a safe community, where there are no preventable deaths or injuries in fires or other emergencies. You will strive for operational and community safety excellence, demonstrate value for money, and put people, in the communities we serve and our staff, at the centre of everything we do.
The role of Area Commander has broad reach and scope. You will be required to display exceptional leadership skills and actively participate in building an organisation that is inclusive and representative of the communities we serve.
Our values of Welcome, Respect and Dignity will act as your guiding principles in every interaction with the people you work with and the community we serve.
- Candidates interested in this opportunity are invited to attend briefing events that are scheduled to take place on the 12th of February at Service Headquarters in Huntingdon. Please contact our recruitment team on email@example.com to express your interest in the role and confirm your attendance.
- Applications will open on 13th Candidates who meet the eligibility criteria (listed below) will be required to complete an application along with supporting documentation, details of which can be found in the application form. Please be aware that the closing date for all applications is 1st March 2024 at 13:00.
Please note: A copy of the application form and further information will be made available on our website: Current Vacancies (cambsfire.gov.uk) on the 13th February.
- All applications received will be anonymised and submitted for shortlisting, which will be completed by the 6th of March.
- Candidates who have successfully completed the shortlisting process will be invited to attend an assessment event scheduled on the 14th of March. Full details of the assessment event will be shared with the selected candidates.
- Successful candidates will be invited to the final stage assessment taking place on the 20th of March.
- Outcome of the process will be shared and announced on the 21st of March.
All interested candidates are requested to make a note of these dates, and while every effort will be made to be flexible, we aim to complete the process within the timelines outlined above.
CFRS welcomes applications from all sections of the community, but this role has the following eligibility criteria:
- Substantive and fully competent Area Commanders/Managers with experience in role, serving with a UK Fire Authority fire and rescue service.
- Substantive and fully competent Group Commanders, who are looking to progress their career.
- Be Incident Command Level Three (Advanced Award in Incident Command level 6) qualified.
- Not be subject to a current capability action plan concerning performance.
- Not be subject to current disciplinary proceedings or a live formal disciplinary sanction.
- Able to work and live in the UK free from any restrictions.
- Have a residential base within one hour travel time from CFRS HQ in Huntingdon and Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service (BFRS) HQ in Kempston. (Please note a relocation package would be available should the appointable candidate chose to move their home base into county of £8,000 tax free but up to £30,000)
- Attend briefing session on 12 February 2024.
- Applications open 13th February 2024
- Complete application by 1st March. Full details of the role will be available on – Current Vacancies (cambsfire.gov.uk).
- Please note that the closing date for all applications is 1st March 2024
We believe in the dignity of all people and their right to respect and equality of opportunity. Our recruitment team are available if you ’d like to confidentially tell us about any conditions you have, whether diagnosed or undiagnosed, to be taken into consideration during the recruitment process. This may be physical, mental health related or neurodiversity. Please be assured that anything you tell us will not be taken into consideration in determining your suitability for the role, it is only to help us make any reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process for you.
If you have any questions our recruitment team are here to help and can be contacted on firstname.lastname@example.org