Specialist resources: Fires on board vessels

Control Measure Knowledge

This control measure should be read in conjunction with Specialist resources


Due to the nature of a vessel fire and the unique firefighting actions that may be required, fire and rescue services may need to request specialist advice and equipment, which can come from:

  • Marine tactical advisers requested through the Fire and Rescue Services National Co-ordination Centre (NR Fire Control)
  • Specialist teams that are available in neighbouring or nearby fire and rescue services, such as declared fire and rescue marine response (FRMR) teams
  • Specialist equipment
  • Insurers
  • Vessel owners
  • Salvage companies
  • Port or harbour authorities
  • Environmental agencies
  • His Majesty’s (HM) Coastguard

Strategic Actions

Tactical Actions