High-rise safety for residents

Following the Grenfell Tower fire, UK fire and rescue services have been working ensure that residents of high-rise accommodation have the information they need to raise any safety concerns and what to do if an incident should occur in their block.

High-rise building are designed to resist fire and stop the spread of smoke. Most fires are contained and don’t spread beyond the flat they originated in.

Safety advice for residents

  • Install smoke alarms in your flat and test them regularly.
  • Formulate an escape plan for all flats in the premises (in some cases this could be be a ‘stay put’ policy).
  • Communicate the escape plan to all occupants.
  • Your landlord has a legal duty to give you a copy of the escape plan for your building, so ask for a copy if you don’t already have one.
  • Keep exits clear both in your home and in communal areas
  • All front doors to flats and doors on corridors and staircases must be ‘self-closing’

If you spot anything that concerns you contact your landlord.

Fire prevention advice

You are at no greater risk of having a fire in your home because you live in a high-rise. Fire services issue the following advice to people to prevent fires occurring.

  • If you smoke be very careful to dispose of smoking materials correctly and ensure lighters and matches are out of reach of children.
  • Clean and maintain electrical appliances.
  • Ensure you register your appliances so you will be informed if they are recalled.
  • Take care when cooking – don’t get distracted and avoid cooking when you’ve been drinking alcohol.
  • Avoid charging gadgets such as phones and e-cigarettes overnight.
  • Don’t run appliances such as washing machines and tumble dryers while you are out or asleep.
  • Have a night time routine which includes closing internal doors and unplugging electrical items.

Visit your local fire and rescue service website for lots of advice and information. In some cases you may benefit from a home safety visit, this is particularly useful for older or vulnerable people and can be arranged by contacting your local service directly.